Today’s recipe is for homemade pumpkin pie – a fall favorite and a Thanksgiving classic. While traditional pie is always nice, we also love to make these individual “pies” using out Jack-Be-Little pumpkins. Simply cut off the top of the pumpkin, scoop out the seeds, fill with pumpkin pie filling, and bake until the squash are tender and the filling is set. The best part? The entire squash is edible – skin and all! It’s a great gluten-free or low-carb alternative to pie, and will be sure to impress.
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 8 tablespoons butter, cold
• 1 1/2 cups (about a 1-pound squash) butternut squash, cooked, mashed (you can also use sugar pumpkin or blue hubbard squash)
• 1 cup milk
• 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoon butter, melted
• 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 2 large eggs
1. Prepare Pie Crust: In medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, and salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle about 4 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, into flour mixture, mixing lightly with fork after each addition until dough is just moist enough to hold together. Shape dough into a disk.
2. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into a round 2 inches larger in diameter than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Ease dough into pie plate; trim edge, leaving 1-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; pinch to form decorative edge. Cover and refrigerate pie shell.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Make a foil shield for edge of crust: Cut 12-inch square piece of foil; fold into quarters. Cut out center and round off edges, leaving a 2 1/2-inch-wide ring. Unfold ring; set aside.
4. Prepare Squash Filling: In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat all filling ingredients until blended. Pour squash mixture into pie shell.
5. Place foil shield over edge of crust to prevent overbrowning. Bake pie 40 to 45 minutes, until knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Cool pie on wire rack.
recipe from Good Housekeeping